Tuesday, February 21, 2012

HIMSS 2012 Day 1

HIMSS is an ADD nightmare – moving shapes, lots of people, so much to take in and experience.  I get a little overwhelmed with the amount of information to absorb.    My day was spent in meetings with clients and colleagues understanding how different technologies could impact healthcare.   Looking into products, services, and software that Sphere3 clients would find of value.

My day started with a great meeting with a friend from Press Ganey – excited to go by their booth #552 tomorrow and take a look at their technology offering.  I am always impressed with people who know their offering well and know how it specifically impacts the hospital and patients. 

 I headed to the Cerner booth where I was able to enjoy a few moments with Clay Patterson.  We chatted about Health + Care (my favorite tag line at HIMSS because Cerner really means it),  the HIMSS show, and of course Sporting KC.   Then I enjoyed a presentation on Clarvia – Cerner’s latest acquisition.  I think is a great product.  It has that has the ability to apply data into the assignment models for the floor.  They focused on the dollars saved which don't get me wrong - is impressive and had great impact to the hospital bottom lineHowever, what I saw was a tool that would create a an incredible environment to ensure that patients are cared for in the most effective way by optimizing the hospitals ability to leverage available staff.   It was geeky and cool (my highest compliment)  It will play into their suite of products well.  If you get a chance stop by Cerner’s booth # 476 and ask to see a demo of Clarvia.

I walked over to see the new GE Teligence workflow station that will challenge the Rauland Staff Terminal and the HilRom Graphical Room Station.   Their workflow station matches the competition in the ability to provide automatic alerting at the press of a button but really lacks the visual appeal of the two other products.  Don’t get me wrong - just because it’s not pretty does not mean it’s not effective, but I have concerns with all of these types of stations.  Is there a true ability to improve care and reduce workload?   The fuzzy line between automation and documentation is not well reported.   The only think I will add about the GE is that I am a little surprised that a company that offers EMR and owns a nurse call company would not make some logical alignment between the two products….you have all the pieces and they could talk to each other…in a really meaningful way.  See it for yourself at Booth #2635

While walking over to the Centrak booth – I happened upon Tibco #3571 really interesting take on compiling data and utilizing a “collaboration tool” which is much like facebook to drive better understanding.    Tibco, was really interesting.

The final booth I visited was Isorona # 12414 – the booth is in the lower level by the interoperability show case.  It is a software based medical device data collection tool - I assume kind of like capsule.  It would have been nice to see more about the product and learn more about it while there at the booth.  The description I received was that it collects the data from multiple sets of data and distributes them to EMR and alarm/alert software.   

Tomorrow you will catch me checking out medical device connectivity tools and you may even find me at the Burwood booth – great people who I really enjoy – in booth #8310.  If you have suggestions on booths I should see and maybe blog about send me a twitter message or comment on the blog.   @Sphere3CEO

All in all this has been a great day - while I am not a big fan of Las Vegas – the venue is actually a lot more convenient than most of the other cities HIMSS has been in years prior.  There is a lot better access to coffee and easy walk to the convention center – it’s nice to get some fresh air. (just avoid the smokers and the people with the little papers…oh my gracious)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Posting on Clinical Transformation!

Kourtney Govro
kgovro@sphere3consulting.com